Summer Berry Galette
Makes 8 servings
1½ cups sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups fresh strawberry halves
3 cups fresh blackberries, divided
3 cups fresh raspberries, divided
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Galette Pastry Dough (recipe
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons heavy whipping
2 tablespoons coarse sugar
1 cup whole strawberries
Garnish: edible flowers*
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl combine strawberry halves, 2 cups blackberries, 2 cups raspberries, and vanilla. Add sugar mixture to berry mixture, stirring to combine. Allow mixture to sit for at least 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll Galette Pastry Dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut a 12-inch circle from dough. Place circle on prepared baking sheet.
5. Strain berry mixture, and place in the middle of the circle, leaving a 3-inch border of dough. Fold dough up over berries in an overlapping fashion.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush dough with egg wash; sprinkle with course sugar.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely (galette can also be served warm, if desired). Arrange remaining 1 cup blackberries, remaining 1 cup raspberries, and whole strawberries over berry filling. Garnish with edible flowers, if desired.
*We used edible flowers from Gourmet Sweet Botanicals.
Galette Pastry Dough
Makes 1 galette
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
¾ teaspoons kosher salt
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled
unsalted butter, chopped
1⁄3 cup ice water, strained
1. In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With machine running, slowly add 1⁄3 cup ice water, and pulse until mixture comes together and forms a ball.
2. Turn mixture out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a disk, and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Beautiful edible flowers and fresh berries bring color and flavor to this Summer Berry Galette. Its flaky pastry dough makes it a wonderful dish to serve at brunch or for dessert.