Vanilla Bean Custard with Chambord and Strawberries
Makes 6 servings
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons Chambord raspberry liqueur, divided
- 1½ cups strawberries, halved
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan, whisking to blend. Scrape vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until thickened. Remove vanilla bean.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks until light in color. To temper egg yolks, slowly add one-third milk mixture from saucepan to yolks, whisking constantly. Add yolk mixture back to milk mixture in saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in butter and 2 tablespoons Chambord.
- Pour mixture into serving cups. Chill four hours or overnight.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon Chambord and strawberries; toss well. Top custard with strawberry mixture. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.