Chilled Asparagus with Tomato Relish
Makes 6 servings
- 1½ pounds asparagus, trimmed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup multi-colored cherry tomatoes, halved
- Blanch asparagus in a large pot of boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Drain and immediately plunge asparagus in a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Remove asparagus from water and refrigerate.
- Combine oil and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl; whisk until blended. Add tomatoes; toss well. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Place asparagus on platter. Top with tomato mixture.
When dressing your asparagus, go for a light vinaigrette. Incorporate the lemon flavor from the pasta salad to tie it all together.