Lemon Ginger Cake with Blackberries Mousse Filling
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
3 cups cake flour
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1¾ cups sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs
1¼ cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 recipe Lemon Mousse Filling
5 cups fresh blackberries
Garnish: blackberries, confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour; line with parchment paper rounds, and spray again.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In a separate large bowl, beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.
5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
6. Divide batter among pans; smoothing tops. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
7. Spread Lemon Mousse Filling onto one layer of cake. Sprinkle with blackberries. Add another layer of cake, and repeat. Place a small amount of filling on center of top layer. Garnish with blackberries and sifted confectioners’ sugar. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Lemon Mousse Filling
1 (3.4-ounce) package lemon-flavored instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
½ vanilla bean, split and seeds reserved
1. In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, milk, sour cream, whipping cream, sugar, zest, and reserved seeds from vanilla bean. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for at least 2 minutes, or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using.