Makes about 4 dozen cookies
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350˚. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.
3. In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and beat on low speed until dough comes together.
4. Wrap dough tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm. Using your hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls, and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. With the bottom of a drinking glass, gently flatten dough balls. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies feel dry and firm. Cool on pans for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 8 servings
1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cranberries, 1½ cups water, sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Cook until cranberry skins begin to split, about 5 to 10 minutes. Using a potato masher, crush cranberries until no whole berries remain.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch, and stir until smooth. Pour into the cranberry mixture, and cook for 6 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, and cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Simple vanilla ice cream paired with our Gingersnap Cookies and Cranberry Compote is a seasonal delight that makes the perfect ending to a big meal.