Baked Apple Chips
Makes about 3 dozen
1¼ cups sugar
2¾ cups water, divided
½ cup fresh lemon juice,
1 medium red apple
1 medium Granny Smith apple
1 medium yellow apple
1. In a large nonstick sauté pan, combine sugar, ¾ cup water, and ¼ cup lemon juice over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, combine remaining 2 cups cool water and remaining ¼ cup lemon juice. Using a mandoline, cut all apples crosswise into very thin round slices (about 1/16 inch thick); immediately place slices in lemon–water mixture.
3. Preheat oven to 225›. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
4. Remove apple slices from lemon water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Add apple slices to syrup mixture, in batches, and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Remove, letting excess syrup drip o, and place slices on prepared baking sheets; repeat with remaining apples.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until apples are dry. Turn oven o, and leave apples in oven for an additional 30 minutes. Carefully remove apple slices from baking sheets. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.